Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Potent Quotables

My Friends,
   I think everyone out there has a certain quotation (or five) which they like.  A few may even have a quotation which they profess to live by.  Unfortunately, rarely do I find that people go to this extreme; in most cases they may like what a quotation says but find it impractical or inconvenient to live by.  Lofty quotations such as "live every day like its your last," or "become the change you want to see" become so many empty words because they are not really conducive to day to day survival.  To be clear I don't fault anyone (including myself) for lapses in their ability to live life by the words they identify strongly with, but I think its important that we keep these words close at hand at all times whether scribbled on a paper in your wallet or posted on your corkboard above your desk.  This way its a constant reminder of how you know you should behave which you will hopefully internalize through constant repetition.
   There are a few quotations which strike a chord with me and some more than others I endeavour to live by.  What follows is a brief list:

"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought.  There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor" -Victor Hugo

I think Helen Keller actually said this but I like it better from that greatest of internet memes, Courage Wolf.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -My Dad

"Become the change you want to see" -Gandhi

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Lengthy, but a good read.  Nietzsche interestingly enough.


"The truth is extreme.  To make it moderate is to lie"

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" -Mark Twain

"People who reject black & white morality are really saying, 'I am unwilling to be wholly good; please don't judge me as wholly evil.'" -Ayn Rand

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" -J. Krishnamurti

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world while the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -Bernard Shaw

That's all I can think of now.  Will compile some more later.  And please, if you know, call me out if I am ever failing to live up to these words.
Stay Thirsty,
-Andre Guantanamo


No comments:

Post a Comment